For membership in 2019, a new member journal must:
- satisfy all 5 Fair Open Access Principles;
- have an ISSN;
- have an explicit and transparent quality assurance policy for published articles;
- have an explicit policy on publication ethics;
- offer the choice of a CC licence to authors for each published article;
- include a title and abstract in English for each published article;
- have a website that clearly lists all information required for FJN to determine whether the criteria above are satisfied (where this website is not in English, there must be agreed mechanisms to permit scrutiny, such as a steering committee member fluent in the website language);
- have been in existence for at least 12 months and published 5 papers in the last 12 months, or have been in existence for at least 6 months and published at least 10 papers in the last 6 months.
- Upon acceptance as a member, the journal is required to
- clearly display membership of FJN on its website;
- supply a representative to join and participate actively in the online FJN Gitlab forum.
- international nature of editorial board and authors;
- membership of DOAJ, SciElo, etc, or indexing by Scopus, etc;
- dealing with original research as understood by the steering committee;
- supplying an academic editor for the online FJN Gitlab forum.